The site of the present day Centerville School is on land bought by August and Annie Mattson. School Construction was finished in 1919 and served high school students only. All younger students attended school in one-room schools throughout the Centerville area. Before the high school was built, classes were held in different buildings throughout town. The gymnasium was constructed several years later as an addition to the school. The average salary for three months of teaching back then was only $35. Many students rode to school on horseback each day.
In 1912 the Centerville Parent Teacher Assosiation started. When the new Centerville School opened they created a hot lunch program, bought playground equipment, held concerts, bought library books, and had an annual Community Day. For the next two-plus decades the smaller elementary schools in the Centerville area began to close and the younger students started attending the new school in town. In 1942, it was decided that the Centerville school needed to serve only elementary students (grades 1 through 8) and the high school students started to attend Goldendale High School.
Our school building is almost 100 years old and has been central to the Centerville community throughout. We are proud of our school and our community, both past, present and future.